This month, Members have funded two amazing things for me. <3
The first, is a ticket to the LA Tea Festival in August. This is a two day event with 50 vendors, a thousand teas, and even classes on how to serve tea with chocolate or cheese. Have I told you I’m a tea snob? I’m SUCH a tea snob. I have an entire shelf in the pantry just for my containers of loose leaf tea and I’m always hunting for more. (gotta catch ’em all?)
I have opinions about tea. I’ve been to several tastings, I frequently go to high tea for my birthday, and I adore all of the tea-adjacent paraphernalia I can shop for. I have a TEA-Rex. I’m even brewing kombucha in a cabinet above the refrigerator.
I’ve never been to the Tea Festival before, so this’ll be an exciting/overwhelming event, but I’ve managed to talk 4 other friends (and Mr. V) into going along. It also occurred to me that I’ve never put tea or tea ceremonies or any of the massive culture surrounding tea into any of my stories… so that’s gonna change right away!
/Breaks for an hour while I go find a dozen books on the history of tea and culture in China, Japan, an India.
The second amazing thing is the Space Travelers storybundle, curated by Kristine Kathryn Rusch. Now, I recently bought a story bundle in April (thanks to Patrons!) and I’m still finishing up the last books in that list, so I wasn’t going to pick this one up.
But then I clicked on the link and I saw which authors’ books were included and that was the end of that.
- Fiction River Presents: Space Travelers, Kristine Kathryn Rusch — an anthology of scifi? Yes please.
- Boundary Shock Quarterly #3 — Grand Theft Starship — I happen to own this antho already, but that just means I have great taste, right?
- Clouds of Phoenix, Michèle Laframboise — I know Michele!
- Sector Justice, Dean Wesley Smith — I don’t have this one, and I should probably use masters of the genre for study, right?
- Incident on a Small Colony, Kristine Smith — I’m not familiar with Kristine, so this one is entirely new to me.
- Duplicate Effort, Kristine Kathryn Rusch — ditto Dean
- Blastoff!, Robert Jeschonek — ditto Kristine Smith
- Partners in Crime — The Misha Kif Chronicles #1, Leigh Saunders — I know Leigh!
- Fractured Stars, Lindsay Buroker — dammit, there’s a Buroker book? Now I gotta buy it.
- WinterStar — Star Tribes Book 1,Blaze Ward — well shit, there’s a Ward book, too.
/hands over the money.